FEMA Assistance For Flooding Damage

Date: September 14, 2011
Posted In: DLP Law

     Individuals and and business owners affected by last week’s flooding must register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in order to qualify for federal assistance. There are several ways to apply: (1) You can register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov; (2) You can register via smartphone at m.fema.gov:  or (3) You can callcall 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). People with speech or hearing disabilities can call 1-800-462-7585 directly, and those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), can call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers are available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Sunday until further notice.

     The FEMA website at  http://www.fema.gov/assistance/index.shtm also provides usefull information explaining how to apply for assistance, the information needed to apply for asistance, what items are covered by disaster assistance, and the locations of Diaster Recovery Centers. 

     Those applying for assistance should be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Your Social Security number.
  • Current and pre-disaster address.
  • A telephone number where you can be contacted.
  • Insurance information.
  • Total household annual income
  • A routing and account number from your bank (only necessary if you want to have disaster assistance funds transferred directly into your bank account)
  • A description of your losses that were caused by the disaster.
Tom Cummings
Thomas P. Cummings has been a Partner with Dougherty Leventhal & Price, LLP since 1996 and has been with the firm since 1991. He focuses his practice on workers’ compensation, Social Security Disability and personal injury cases.