NEPA Workers Comp Injury Lawyer- Hurt At Work In Pittston, Pa.; What Am I Entitled To?

Date: February 28, 2012

Question: I was hurt on the job last week. It’s only been three days since my injury. What am I entitled to and when will I receive my workers comp check? J.F., Pittston, Pa.
Answer: If you are injured while working, you are entitled to receive wage loss benefits and your employer must pay for your work-related medical treatment. Wage loss benefits are payable if you cumulative periodof disability exceeds seven days. Wage loss benefits must start within 21 days of the employer’s knowledge or notice of your injury and disability, unless the claim is denied within that time period.

The term “disability”, for workers’ compensation purposes, refers to wage loss- an employee’s inability to return to work at his or her prior earnings or occupation. Wage-loss benefits are based on the employee’s pre-injury average weekly wage. Wages can include employer provided room and board, bonuses or incentive pay, vacation pay and gratuities reported for income tax purposes.
If you’ve suffered a work injury and have questions about your claim, contact me at or call (570) 347-1011 for a free consultation.

Tom Cummings
Thomas P. Cummings has been a Partner with Dougherty Leventhal & Price, LLP since 1996 and has been with the firm since 1991. He focuses his practice on workers’ compensation, Social Security Disability and personal injury cases.