NEPA Scranton Work Injury Question- Workers Compensation Question

Date: June 16, 2012

Question: Back in early May of 2012, I was removing product that had become jammed in a machine at work. While doing this, I felt a snap or twinge in my elbow. I mentioned this to my supervisor who told me to “toughen up” and he even teased me a little about it. I thought things would get better but they’re actually getting worse. When I’m finished working I can hardly feel anything from my elbow down to my fingers. I drop things all the time and I’m in a lot of pain. My neighbor is a doctor and I mentioned this to him. He told me to report this immediately to my employer and to get in to see a doctor. I wnet into the human resouces department at work and the lady told me that I didn’t give them “notice” and that she won’t report this to workers comp. So now it looks like I’m stuck. What can I do? Anonymous, Northeast Pa.

Answer: You’re not stuck. As the injury occurred about 6 weeks ago, you are still within the 90 day period to give notice of the injury.  Also, when you told your supervisor of the injury the day you felt the pain in your elbow, that could be deemed giving “notice”.  Your neighbor gave you good advice. Get in to see a doctor. If your employer posts a list of panel physicians, you will need to see a doctor on that panel list. Tell the doctor about your symtoms and the events at work which caused your symptoms. Feel free to contact me at the office and we’ll see what we can do to help you.

If you’ve suffered a work injury and have questions about your claim, contact me at or call (570) 347-1011 for a free consultation.



Disclaimer: The above article is for instructive purposes only and each case is fact sensitive.  Consultation with an attorney should be obtained instead of reliance upon the legal issues discussed in this column. 


Tom Cummings
Thomas P. Cummings has been a Partner with Dougherty Leventhal & Price, LLP since 1996 and has been with the firm since 1991. He focuses his practice on workers’ compensation, Social Security Disability and personal injury cases.