NEPA Work Injury Lawyers

Date: June 1, 2012

Question: I have a lot of pain in my knee. It’s especially bad at work. There was a particular day a few weeks ago where I bent over to pick up some tools at work and I felt a “pop” in my knee. I told my supervisor about it right away. My knee is killing me and I don’t know how long I can continue to work. My job requires me to be on my feet all day long. What should i do? H.S., Mountaintop, Pa.

Answer: If you haven’t already done so, you need to see a doctor. If your employer posts a panel list of physicians, you need to see a doctor on that list for the first 90 days of treatment. Tell your boss or supervisor that you are seeking medical treatment for what you believe to be a work injury. Give the doctor a detailed history about your episode a few weeks ago where you felt a “pop”, the work you do, and your symptoms. You bear the burden of proof to show a connection between the injury and your employment. This generally requires competent factual testimony and competent unequivocal medical testimony. The medical opinion evidence must be rendered within a reasonable degree of medical certainty, which requires more than guesses or probabilities.

If you’ve suffered a work injury and have questions about your claim, contact me at or call (570) 347-1011 for a free consultation.



Disclaimer: The above article is for instructive purposes only and each case is fact sensitive.  Consultation with an attorney should be obtained instead of reliance upon the legal issues discussed in this column. 



Tom Cummings
Thomas P. Cummings has been a Partner with Dougherty Leventhal & Price, LLP since 1996 and has been with the firm since 1991. He focuses his practice on workers’ compensation, Social Security Disability and personal injury cases.