How do we prevent nursing home injuries?
- Assessing patients after a fall to identify and address risk factors and treat the underlying medical conditions
- Educate staff about fall risk factors and prevention strategies
- Reviewing prescribed medicines to assess their potential risks and benefits and to minimize use
- Making changes in the nursing home environment to make it easier for residents to move around safely. Such changes include putting in grab bars, adding raised toilet seats, lowering bed heights, and installing handrails in the hallways.
- Providing patients with hip pads that may prevent a hip fracture if a fall occurs.
- Using devices such as alarms that go off when patients try to get out of bed or move without help.
[youtube id=”vkFuS-7SERM” ][/youtube]