Scranton Tunkhannock Work Injury- Hearing Loss in Pa. Workers Comp

Date: May 8, 2014
Question: I work in machine shop. It’s very loud. Lately, I’ve noticed that I sometimes have to ask people to repeat themselves when they are talking to me. If I do have a hearing problem, can I collect something from workers comp? Anonymous, Tunkhannock, Pa.
Answer: Work-related hearing loss is compensable. You should get in to see a doctor to assess whether you have a hearing loss that is measurable. The American Medical Association Guidelines are used to assess hearing loss. The hearing levels in both ears are considered. The loss must be greater that 10%. Benefits are based upon your weekly earnings. Benefits are payable from a minimum of 26 weeks to maximum of 260 weeks plus a 10 week healing period. You will need expert medical testimony to establish (1) causation ( that your hearing loss is a direct and proximate result of exposure to noise in the workplace and (2) what percentage of hearing loss is attributable to the workplace exposure.
If you have suffered a work injury and have questions about your claim, email me at  or call (570) 347-1011 for a free consultation.
Tom Cummings
Thomas P. Cummings has been a Partner with Dougherty Leventhal & Price, LLP since 1996 and has been with the firm since 1991. He focuses his practice on workers’ compensation, Social Security Disability and personal injury cases.