Scranton Wilkes Barre Hazleton Workers Comp- Return to Work After Work Injury

Date: July 7, 2015
Question: I was injured at work last year but I’m now doing better. I returned to work but I’m not earning the same pay as when I was injured. How will my checks be calculated? Anonymous, Hazleton, Pa.
Answer: If an injured worker (claimant) returns to work post-injury and has a loss of earnings that results from the work injury, the claimant will be entitled to payment of partial disability benefits. Partial benefits are in the amount of 2/3 of the difference between the pre-injury weekly earnings (AWW) and the return to work weekly earnings. For example, if you had an AWW of $600.00 and returned to light duty work and earned $500.00/week, there would be a  $100 difference. Multiply $100.00 x2/3 and you get $66.66.  Besides receiving your RTW earnings ($500.00), you will also be entitled to receive partial disability payment in the amount of $100.00 for that week.

If you’ve suffered a work injury and have questions about your claim, contact me at or call (570) 347-1011 for a free consultation.

Disclaimer: The above article is for instructive purposes only and each case is fact sensitive.  Consultation with an attorney should be obtained instead of reliance upon the legal issues discussed in this column. 

Tom Cummings
Thomas P. Cummings has been a Partner with Dougherty Leventhal & Price, LLP since 1996 and has been with the firm since 1991. He focuses his practice on workers’ compensation, Social Security Disability and personal injury cases.