Scranton Work Injury Lawyers- Workers Compensation

Date: July 24, 2012


Question- I was hurt at work a few months ago. I was out for a while but I just went back to light duty work. My current earnings are less than they were when I was injured. Am I entitled to anything for that?

Answer: If you return to work post-injury and experience a loss of earnings that results from the work injury, you will be entitled to payment of partial disability benefits. Partial disability benefits amount to 2/3 of the difference between your pre-injury average weekly earnings (the AWW) and the return to work weekly earnings. For example, let’s say your AWW is $600.00 and you returned to light duty work earning $500.00/week. $600.00 (AWW) less $500.00 (RTW earnings)= $100.00.  $100.00 x2/3 = $66.66. Besides receiving your return to work earnings ($500.00), you will also receive partial disability payment in the amount of $100.00 for that week.

If you’ve suffered a work injury and have questions about your claim, contact me at or call (570) 347-1011 for a free consultation.



Disclaimer: The above article is for instructive purposes only and each case is fact sensitive.  Consultation with an attorney should be obtained instead of reliance upon the legal issues discussed in this column. 


Tom Cummings
Thomas P. Cummings has been a Partner with Dougherty Leventhal & Price, LLP since 1996 and has been with the firm since 1991. He focuses his practice on workers’ compensation, Social Security Disability and personal injury cases.