Susquehanna County Well Drilling Work Injury- Injury? Workers Comp? Call DLP

Date: May 14, 2014

Question: I work as a rig operator on a fracking crew at a gas pipeline well drilling site. I was hurt at work last week and my supervisor took me to the emergency room. I am still hurting and I want to go see my family doctor, but the lady in H.R. tells me that I have to treat with the company doctor. Is that true? Anonymous, Susquehanna County, Pa.

Answer: You can choose your own health care provider to treat your work injury unless the employer accepts the claim and has posted in the workplace a list of six or more physicians or health care providers. This is commonly referred to as the “panel list”. You are required to visit a provider on the list for initial treatment. You are to continue to treat with that doctor or another on the list for a period of 90 days following the injury. You may see any of the doctors on the list. Your employer may not require or direct you to any specific doctor on the list.

If you’ve suffered a work injury and have questions about your claim, contact me at or call (570) 347-1011 for a free consultation.

Tom Cummings
Thomas P. Cummings has been a Partner with Dougherty Leventhal & Price, LLP since 1996 and has been with the firm since 1991. He focuses his practice on workers’ compensation, Social Security Disability and personal injury cases.